Mold Removal - Orange, VA
ServiceMaster Restore®: The Right Choice for Mold Removal
Mold spores are everywhere—in the air we breathe, on our clothing, on our shoes, in our walls, floors, attics and crawl spaces. When moisture is present, molds begin to grow causing the release of mycotoxins—volatile organic compounds which can cause allergic reactions, nausea, fatigue, and other health problems—into your environment. If left unchecked, mold can not only affect air quality but cause unpleasant odors, discoloration and costly structural damage to homes and businesses.
By removing the water source and implementing a rapid dry-down, mold growth can be contained. ServiceMaster Restore is IICRC-certified to handle mold infestations of any size. We maintain a full complement of specialized equipment to quickly and safely contain and remove mold from your home or business. And, our comprehensive training program ensures that ServiceMaster Restore technicians are ready to provide the highest level of knowledge and service to you and your insurance company.
If you suspect mold growth in your home or business, call Servicemaster of Charlottesville today at 434-293-3366 or 540-948-2291.
Don't let your Orange, VA home be ruined with mold!
Mold is present everywhere in nature, but when it finds its way into your home it can be a major problem. We use infrared technology as part of the mold detection process and special chemicals to help remediate the mold and protect your home.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mold
What is mold?
Mold is a fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. No one knows how many species of mold exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand or more. Mold spreads and reproduces by making spores. Spores can survive conditions that are too sunny, hot, cold, dry or wet for mold to grow. When spores are released they can be carried by air or water to new locations.
Where does mold come from?
Molds thrive in moist environments created by a flood, slow leak, broken pipe or just high humidity. Without water mold, cannot grow. Mold also needs a food source, oxygen and a temperature between 40°F and 100°F.
How does mold spread?
For molds to grow and reproduce, they only need an organic food source, such as cellulose, which is found in building materials such as wood and drywall.
Are there any warning signs to look for?
If there are dark spots on your ceiling, floors or walls, this is a sure sign of mold growth. Musty odors and mildew are often signs that mold may be growing in your home. Respiratory and allergy symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, trouble breathing and wheezing are a common indicator of mold growth as well. Also, high humidity levels such as condensation on glass and metal surfaces are a warning sign of mold.
The Special Challenges of Mold
Despite what's readily known about mold, it remains the subject of a lot of confusion.
- Mold is an issue that can affect the health of your family and compromise the physical structure of your home
- Mold and mildew grow best in warm, damp and humid conditions
- Mold may never become visible, since it can grow in the walls and under the floor
- If more than two days have passed, any wet materials will be affected by mold, even if it's not yet visible
- Whether you can see a problem or merely suspect its presence, only a professional can help identify the source and extent of the challenge
- Home remedies like bleach can cause more problems
Can I get rid of mold by myself?
Doing it yourself is not recommended. At ServiceMaster Restore, our experts have completed intensive mold remediation training as well as detailed instruction in the proper procedures for handling mold claims.
Mold Removal Checklist
- Identify and eliminate water source
- Isolate infestation
- Remove carpet and padding when necessary
- Dry and maintain air in contaminated areas at below 60% RH
- Apply negative air movement—outside air drawn into contained area, HEPA filtered and exhausted to exterior of building
- Remove, bag, and discard contaminated materials
- Professionally clean and remove odors with our exclusive OdorKlenz® technology
- HEPA vacuum, sand and treat area with an EPA-approved anti-fungal spray